...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Cute Kid Cameo Wall Art

This is a project that I have been wanting to do for a long time.  But, I do not have a Silhouette.  I know right, get with the times.  For me it would be just one more hobby/craft thing that my hubs does not know why I need.  Anyway, I had to decide on the best way to do this fun project.
I've been on the hunt for the perfect vintage frames.
Not too matchy-matchy, but I wanted them to be able to look good together.  Good news, I finally found some!
Aren't they terrifically kitschy?
And I love the washed out images!

The very best part about them is the low, low price tag!

$1.99 for the one on the left and $1.49 for the one on the right!
Cheap! Yay!
 There are lots of different ways to make the "cameo" image.  From all my years working in daycare, this is by far the easiest.  I took snapshots of their profiles.  Super easy!
(My daughter was very easy, I took about 15 of my son because he kept moving)
Then, if you have a printer, you just print them out in a size you need.  I don't, so off to the one hour photo I go.
(I order them online so all I have to do is pick them up.)
So far I have spent $4...
The frames are plastic remnants of the 80's, so I want to make sure the paint will stick and look good, so I got Krylon Spray Paint for Plastic.  It is the coolest invention ever!
No sanding, no priming, and it lasts forever.  I spray painted some of those cheap plastic patio chairs about 5 years ago and they still look amazing! Even after being left outside!
I chose basic satin black for the frames,  it is a timeless color and goes with everything right?
Now here where the fun begins...
I took the pictures I had made, and cut around the profile.
Then I traced each image on the back of the scrapbook paper.
Using very sharp scissors,  I cut out each "cameo".
Then I glued them on white background paper.
I used archival glue sticks, and spread a very thin layer..
I trimmed the pages to fit the oval frames, and Voila!
Super Cute Kid Cameos!
So I can remember my babies when they were (somewhat)small.
I think they turned out very special.
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)