...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Flax seed for All

I am, once again, turning over a new leaf.
I keep trying to get healthy, but I'm not really putting forth a lot of effort.
I am a stress eater.
Right now I am stressed out.
So I eat.
A lot.
I really need to get my willpower back.
I still go to the gym at least 3 times per week.  So I got that going for me.  :)
I'm not sure how many of you know that I work in a hospital.  They are tying to cultivate a healthy workforce (aka save money on their insurance costs) and they make us get stuff checked once a year.  They check our blood pressure, cholesterol, blood glucose, and BMI.  Good news, not all of mine are too bad.  HA!  My BP is high, my blood sugar is high, and my cholesterol is high.  My BMI is high, but I didn't have to go to fat class!  Yay!  I do have to go to Diabetes class though. :(  If I don't do all this crap my insurance rates go up.
So off to class I go.
Anyway, back to the flax seed...
I was reading a magazine last week that talked about the benefits of flax seed, chia seed and wheat germ.  I thought I'd give it a try.  It definitely couldn't hurt right?
So I spoke with my lovely nutritionist and she told me to go for it!  She also told me where to buy it.
Kroger's actually has the flax seed...it's super, because that is where I shop a lot of the time.  Flax seed is great for you.  It is full of omega-3 fatty acids, lignans,  and it helps keep you regular.  There is a great article on Web MD here.  I will not attempt to teach you all about it, so go look for yourself.  It may even help prevent cancer, heart disease, stroke and diabetes. 
As for my use, it is easy, and quick.  I put it in my yogurt every morning.  It has a slightly nutty flavor(really) and it adds some texture.  At lunch I put it in the middle of my PB&J sandwich.  It doesn't make it taste any differently, at all.  And the ideal daily dose is only 2 tablespoons!  That is nothing!  We are having tacos for dinner tonight, so I am going to sprinkle some in my black bean/corn mixture.  I'll let you know how that goes.  And, as far as the laxative effect...
I won't share.
:D

P.S.  Tomorrow is my birthday.  I may or may not share anything, but then again, you might get a baby pic or two.  :)

1 comment:

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)