...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Monday, April 2, 2012

Recycled Tuxedo Top {tutorial}

I don't know about your kids, but mine sure like to ruin their clothes!  It seems like the first day she wears something it gets a big stain on it.  She absolutely loves this yellow tee, but well, you know.  A BIG stain.  :)
I held on to it foe awhile now, because I was convinced that I could make something of it...
And look, I did!
And the best part is that my non-ruffle wearing girl actually loves it!
Wanna see how I did it?
Here is the stained up shirt.  It is hard to see the stain, but trust me, it's there!

 I cut out strips of recycled knits that I had in my stash box.
 I picked all stripes in not so matchy colors.  My daughter loves it when her clothes do not match.  I think it makes it more fun for her.
 Here are the strips, I actually cut the side strips smaller so they would fit on the shirt better.
 Then I pinned them all on.  I do not use pins very much, except with ruffles.  I want them to be somewhat uniform.

It is kind funny to sew them on.  You have to work from the bottom up, or if your shirt is bigger, like mine, you can work through the neck hole.  I sewed them on while scrunching the fabric under the presser foot.  I always do ruffles this way.  It is just the way it works out best for me(and the ruffle foot scares me, zippers too.) but I digress...
I'm really happy with the end result.  And best of all it only took me about 25 minutes from start to finish!
Too bad I had to stop about 100 times to yell at the kids.  They're on spring break and I'm losing my mind!  :)
Thanks for reading!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)