...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

PVC Pipe Garment Rack

I did it!
I actually made something that I pinned!  Yay for me!
I have an etsy shop where I sell handmade and vintage kids clothes, and I desperately needed something to store all the clothes on.
I was at a thrift store earlier this week when I saw this great pvc pipe/rack/shelf thing.
Of course I thought to myself "I can make that!"
So I did!
I looked online for a proper tute, but none had the double rack like I wanted, so I designed it myself!

It is perfect!  And super easy.  It only cost me about $8 to make.  I even had the guy at Menards cut it for me.  Really!  Simple!
Here's what you need...
I used 1 inch pipe, It seemed sturdier than the smaller stuff.





Ack!  I'm having issues with blogger!  It won't let me make the pics any bigger.  Technology is wonderful, when it works...
So, basically I just fit all the pieces together when I got home.  It would be a ton sturdier if they were glued, but I wanted to be able to take mine apart if needed.  It is still sturdy enough to hold all my stuff and it is not used every day either.  If I was making this for bigger clothes or kids I would definetly glue it.

So, I will break it down for you

1.  Put an elbow on each end of one 40 inch piece
2.  Stick an 18 inch piece directed down in each elbow
3. Put a 3 way connector on the bottom of each 18 in piece
4. Connect the 3 ways together with the other 40 in piece
5. Add the other 18 in pieces to each side
6.  Add the 4 way connectors to the bottom
7.  Put a 12 in piece on each side of the 4 way(leaving the bottom open)
8.  Put elbows on the ends of each 12 inch piece
Voila!
Garment Rack!
If you were gluing, now would be the time.  Just take each piece apart and swipe one time around each pipe with pvc pipe glue and insert back into the connector!  Super simple!
My husband was surprised that I actually did all by myself.
Ha!  That'll show him! 
You can even spray paint it any color you want.  It is so fun.  I think I'm going to make mine pink!
Thanks for reading!
:)
 
*Post Production Addendum*
I have now been using this for a bit, and I discovered that this does not work for all the clothes I need to put on it.
So, I re-did it!
PS  It is very easy still.  :)
 
Please go HERE to see the Do-Over!  It is waaaaay better!

4 comments:

  1. This is one of the better blogs i've seen for [PVC Pipe] with lots of information and tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it sturdy enough to hold the clothes and not sag?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go check out the Do-Over it sure is! The link is the word HERE in the last line of the post. I never had much on it this way, but you can see in the pic how much stuff I have on it in the new post. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)