...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Addiction and it's slow recovery



Speaking of pasta...yesterdays topic....I was at work last night and one of my co-workers had pasta alfredo for dinner.  She's a third shift worker, so her dinner was at 10 pm.  It smelled soooooo good it made my stomach growl and I almost ate something!   AAAGGGHHH!  I thought I had kicked that after work craving, but I guess it was just hiding, waiting to be stimulated!! So, in my quest to get my family to eat better with me the baby is the biggest challenge.  He's not really a baby anymore(he's almost 2) but as he's probably my last he is still MY baby.  He had gotten used to eating a cereal bar for breakfast and drinking juice with it.  If you're kids are anything like mine they live each day with a sippy cup attached to their hand.  If the juice is 100% it's no big deal (I still water it down), but the cereal bars contain...dun dun dun(ominous music) high fructose corn syrup aka HFCS.  I know. They re's been a lot in the news lately about this stuff, but I wouldn't believe everything you hear.  Yes, it is natural....and that's about it.  High fructose corn syrup is in no way sugar.  Here's a little science for you(don't worry I don't know much either, but this is simple).  Thanks to my great dietitian yet again.  Here goes...When you eat sugar your body uses insulin to open your cells and the cells use the sugar for energy.  That's it, easy peasey lemon squeezy, right?  If you are active enough your body should burn off the small amounts you eat naturally.  I'm not talking about candy and sweets here though. Except for the HFCS...it goes straight to your liver and turns right into....FAT.  Yep, fat.  So all those commercials out there are very misleading.  That could very well be part of what is making America fat.  I must confess, we still put the baby to bed with a sippy cup.  I know, I know you don't have to tell me.  It usually has milk in it, but a couple of times we had to put juice in it because we were all out of milk.  Tuesday night I put him to bed as usual, with a cup of milk, and he didn't want it. he got mad and threw it at me!!!  It was then that I decided no more milk or juice.  He gets water now, and you better believe he'll like it!  If not he can cry.  I started this at nap yesterday and he didn't so much as bat an eye at me. Little Stinker!  Hopefully this will remain easy until he is broke of this habit.  Yay!  As a result of this new information(I learned it at my epiphany appt last week) I now look at labels even more than I did before.  I will no longer be bringing any food into my house that has HFCS in it.  I was helping to make my baby fat without even knowing it.  Poor boy.  So onward to yesterday's menu...  I actually switched it up and didn't eat eggs for breakfast.  I had toast.  :)  For lunch I had 2 cheese roll-ups again.  Dinner was different too. I got to work last night and someone had brought in bagels! OMG I LOVE bagels!!  So it was only normal for me to want one very badly.  However I refrained, until dinner.  I decided that I would have one as my dinner, with an apple and some cottage cheese.  Not bad considering I used to eat 2 or 3 in a sitting.  I work second shift and when I'm at work my husband( who shall not be named) has the responsibility of feeding the family.  Sometimes I think I should call him Mr. Anti-Food War.  He just doesn't seem to care what they eat, as long as they're eating. *Sigh*  I need to make him see the light.  He's no spring chicken himself, and diabetes runs in his family also.  I want to make sure my kids are at a lower risk to get it, by learning to eat right and by having a healthy relationship with food.  Food is not really the enemy it is the energy and we all need it.  I came up with a revelation once.  I wished I was an alcoholic, or a drug addict...only because you can totally give up your addiction and kick your habit.  I have a food addiction and I can't totally give it up or I would starve to death.  Sad but true.  I'm really proud of myself and all the progress that I'm making on this eating thing. When I was walking around at work last night I noticed something weird.  I could actually feel the fabric of my scrub top rubbing on my skin!  I can't remember the last time I felt that.  I used to feel like a sausage in a casing, but not anymore! Yippee!!!  It's the little things like that, that tell me all my hard work wasn't for naught!  The truth is...Ive succeeded in changed my addiction.  I'm addicted to my kids.  I'm doing it for myself, but mostly for them because I want to be around for all the lovely things their lives will offer them. oxox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)