...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Joys of Cycling and Tortilla Chips

Last week I ran a mile again...I wanted to see if I could get the same time, or if it was a fluke.
It was all good...I went exactly as fast as I did the time before.
Since it only takes me about 12 minutes now, I still needed to work out for an additional 15+ minutes to get the minimum of 30 that I set for myself.  So, I got on a bike.
I really liked it.  I actually continued to sweat, but there was no joint rattling and pain.
Score!
I did about 3 miles in 15 minutes.  It worked so well, that I did it again today.
When I was younger I never liked the bikes.  I felt that if I wasn't feeling the burn, or not standing, that I wasn't doing anything worthwhile.  I was so wrong.  I won't be using it everyday, but a few times a week most likely.

I also have some sad news...
I love chips and salsa.
I mean it...
LOVE.
That is what I've been subsisting on for weeks now...
Little did I know, that tortilla chips are probably the worst thing I could eat.  Ever.
I guess they have a high gylcemic index.
The glycemic index sounds complicated, but it's just a way of getting an idea of how a food is likely to affect blood sugar.  For me, a diabetic, this is crucial.
So, in essence the tortilla chips are killing me.
Glycemic Index ExplainedThe glycemic index is a measurement of the type or quality of carbs in a particular food, and how fast 50 grams of this carbohydrate raises blood glucose levels, (and consequent insulin secretion and effects produced by the pancreas) as it is digested.
(you can click on all the links to find out more about them)
So now, I have to stop eating them.  boohoo...
I've never been very good at not eating stuff.  I guess that's why I'm in a "Food War".  Another battle is now being undertaken.
Victory is far off, but an attainable goal.
Thanks for going on this ride with me.
:D




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)