...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Eat it, there are starving children in China

Today's post is rather late, I had tons of stuff to do this morning, and the time just got away from me.  Now that the baby is down for a nap, and the house is clean...I can blog.  I had to go to the grocery store today for the first time since I started the Food War.  It's amazing how much stuff has HFCS in it.  Granola bars, those high fiber bars, pop tarts for sure, and cereal bars.  So no more of that stuff for my kids.  They won't notice tho.  As long as they are eating right?  I got tons of fruit and vegetables for snacks and some cheese.  Which is pretty good for you if you don't eat it on everything.  It took me twice as long to shop today as it normally does, but it's because I had to read labels.  Eventually I will know what to get an it will be a breeze.  But for now, I'm a label reading fool.  Did you know that even animal crackers have HFCS in them.  I was surprised too. That is Max's favorite, and it is pretty far down on the list of ingredients so it can't be much.  Speaking of lists, does anybody know how to read those food labels?  I didn't for the longest time.  So I educated myself, and now I'm going to educate you(if you want).   The FDA has a great website that will tell you all about it, with pictures for reference.  But, I'm going to give you the basics.  Start at the top...serving sizes.  This is like the labels way of helping you with portion control.  Have you ever really measured out how much cereal you are supposed to put in a bowl?  I showed my kids this the other day and they both thought I was insane.  They were like, "Uummm, mom(Wendy) there is like nothing in here.  I'm going to starve."  It was hilarious!  I told them that this was all the food their body really needs...you would think that I had grown an extra head or something with the way they were looking at me!  I assured them that they wouldn't starve to death.  I'm not sure if they really believed me though. Oh well.  So anyway, the whole rest of the labels numbers are based on that serving size.  You double the portion, you double the fat and calories!  Most people don't even realized that they are doing it.  The next numbers are the fats and the the stuff you should not eat as much of.  Then are the carbs you need for energy and the proteins you need to build up you body.  These are the good things, but too much of anything is still bad.  Then at the bottom is the list of ingredients.  The list is in order from the most amount to the least amount.  For example, on this label the thing found the most in it is yellow corn flour.  Then on down.  The least is Vitamin C.  And may contain (oh horror) soy!  It's not the best label example, but
it was clear to read.  I don't even know what it is.  So when I commented about animal crackers and them having HFCS in them it was waaaaaaay down close to the bottom...that makes it ok right?  Maybe it does, and maybe it doesn't.  There are just some things that we need to eat because they are good.  Like frozen yogurt and Girl Scout cookies.  As long as we don't est too many.  Yesterday's menu was pretty good as far as variety and general yumminess.  I had coffee for brekkie, a baked potato with butter and sour cream for lunch and a jalapeno and tortilla crusted tilapia with mashed potatoes for dinner, with an apple.  The tilapia was awesome, and I need to get that recipe so I can make it at home.  Tomorrow is going to be 2 weeks on The Food War! I wonder how much weight I've lost?  I wore a dress the other day that was so loose it looked funny, so off to the Goodwill with it!( No, I'll probably remake it into something that will fit, because I love the colors)  But sending it away sounds so much better?  It's like cleansing myself of my excess weight and unhealthiness. That's it for today!!  Thanks for reading! Have a good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)