...where I share my life, craftiness and eating habits with the world...

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Old Jeans to A-line Skirt ReFashion


Yesterday was the first official get-together of a new sewing group I started.  I have a few friends who have sewing machines, but are not confident enough.
I wanted to help them learn, and become more confident in their abilities....so I started a sewing group.
For our first project we made an old pair of jeans into an A-line skirt.  I haven't made one of these in about 10+years.
It was tons of fun!
We laughed, we munched,
(b/c let's face it, a party is not a party without food!)
we sewed, we seam-ripped...
I know this is not a new project for most of us, but it was for my friends.  We all messed up, but they learned a lot(I hope) and gained some confidence(again, I hope).
I can't wait to wear my new skirt to my nephews birthday party today.  I might post a pic later.
 We are going to get together once a month and sew something.  Next month we are going to do a project with ruffles...I just love ruffles. 
And....I'm going to write up a tutorial for it!
Wish me luck!
:)

Here's the kitty "helper", he kept batting the pins out of our stuff!

Make Your Own!
It is very easy to make yourself one of these too.
Get a pair of jeans that still fit you in the waist.
Put them on and determine how long you want your skirt to be.
Make a mark about 2 inches longer, that is where you will cut.
Take off the pants and lay them out so you only have to make one cut.  Then, cut off the legs.
They will be sorta crooked, but that is OK
(that is what the extra 2 inches is for)
Cut open both of the cut off pant legs,
this is what you will be using to fill the triangles in your pants.
Then you need to cut out the crotch seam.
I had to cut quite a bit off, because I wanted the triangle to lay flat.
It makes a nicer skirt that way.  Very A-line and such.
I matched up the seams in my cut legs to the seam in the pants(skirt)
You can see that in the pictures above.
I sewed it under the triangle so there would be cute fraying of the denim.  After I sewed in the triangle, I trimmed the inside, and evened out the hem(the extra 2 inches) so it was straight across.
I also used a decorative stitch around the bottom so it wouldn't fray too, too much.
It is the perfect length and EXACTLY how I wanted it to look!
If you have any questions feel free to leave me a comment and I'm sure I could help you!
Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I wish I was close enough to join. So cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It is lots of fun!

      Delete
    2. I want to be in your sewing group! Maybe I need to start my own. I would love to see a picture of you wearing the skirt.

      Delete
  2. Nice, simple instructions- I would love to try this! I like the idea of a sewing group too- that would be fun :) I'd be the one with less experience among the sewers I know, though :P Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I am starved for attention. :)